Monday, June 8, 2009

It was a great idea

I think this blog was a great idea. However, I have not been keeping it up to date. Who knows? Perhaps this shows a normal journey of a first time triathlon. (OK, can I just tell myself that?).

My training has waxed and waned of the past month (which is when I last posted). My masters swim class was going really well...until work got in the way. I know now that I can swim a mile and so doing a 1/4 mile seems doable to me. I will be going to the coast next week and am hoping to get some open water swims in. I will probably need to rent a wetsuit though! (Pacific Ocean in Oregon is COLD).

I am enjoying biking when I get the time to do it. It is hard to carve out a decent amount of time to go on a good ride. But I really need to get my butt in the seat!!! I don't think I am particularly fast on a bike but I know I will finish.

Running is definitely my weakest link. I used to be an extremely fast sprinter. Time and 25 years of playing soccer has really slowed me down. My knees ache when I run. I suspect that part of my warm up for the actual race will be downing some Advil! I have intentionally minimized this in my training. I would love to get back to long walks with my neighbor but I need to actually make it happen.

I did buy "fast laces". Sadly, I bought the wrong size and have to exchange them. (They work great on my 3.5 year old son's shoes though).

There are only 7-8 weeks to go before the triathlon. The week or at least couple of days before the actual race you are supposed to take it easy. So I have 7 weeks to ramp up my training. Gulp.

No comments:

Post a Comment